Siofor is one of the most popular hypoglycemic drugs. The main active ingredient is the substance Metformin.
It is prescribed to effectively regulate the amount of concentrated glucose in insulin-dependent diabetics.
The tool is indispensable if proper nutrition and regular exercise do not help in the fight against weight-increasing glycemia. No less important advantage of the drug is its ability to effectively reduce the amount of cholesterol, also provides unique assistance in the fight against obesity.
Oral hypoglycemic drug.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much is Siofor 500 mg in pharmacies? The average price is at 280 rubles.
Composition and release form
Dosage form - white coated tablets:
- Siofor 500: round, biconvex (10 pieces in blisters, in a cardboard bundle 3, 6 or 12 blisters);
- Siofor 850: oblong, with a double-sided mark (15 pieces in blisters, in a cardboard box of 2, 4 or 8 blisters);
- Siofor 1000: oblong, with a risk on one side and a wedge-shaped recess "snap-tab" on the other (15 pieces in blisters, in a cardboard bundle 2, 4 or 8 blisters).
The active ingredient of the drug is metformin hydrochloride, in one tablet it contains 500 mg (Siofor 500), 850 mg (Siofor 850) or 1000 mg (Siofor 1000).
- Excipients: povidone, hypromellose, magnesium stearate;
- The composition of the shell: macrogol 6000, hypromellose, titanium dioxide (E171).
Siofor is a product from Berlin-Hemi AG. This is one of the largest pharmaceutical associations located in Italy. Produce the drug in the form of tablets of different dosages. This may be Siofor 500, 850 and 1000 mg.
The main substance of the drug does not affect the functioning of human beta cells. Due to this, the body does not produce a large amount of insulin, respectively, hypoglycemia does not develop. The positive effect of the drug is based on the additional components of the drug, among which Povidone, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Hypromelase and Macrogol 6000 can be mentioned.
The unique composition of the drug allows people who take it to achieve such positive results as:
- Slowing up the absorption of active glucose in the digestive organs;
- Decreased glucose production rate in the liver;
- Improving the overall sensitivity of peripheral tissues to sugar-containing hormones.
Siophor in the process of treating diabetes has a positive effect on total lipid metabolism, significantly improves blood clotting. The amount of sugar in the body decreases in the process of eating, but also before meals.
Patients who take medicine and follow an uncomplicated diet, quickly achieve weight loss.
Indications for use
The drug is recommended for use for the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2, especially in patients with overweight in the absence of the effect of physical activity and therapeutic diets.
Siofor can be used as a monotherapy drug or in combination with other oral hypoglycemic agents and insulin.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic precoma;
- Lactic acidosis, including in the anamnesis;
- Liver failure;
- Intravascular injection of iodine-containing contrast material;
- Compliance with a low-calorie diet (consumption of less than 1000 kcal per day);
- Children's age up to 10 years;
- Lactation period;
- Impaired renal function (creatinine clearance <60 ml / min) or renal failure;
- Acute conditions that may have a negative effect on kidney function (for example, a serious infectious disease or dehydration);
- Chronic alcoholism and acute alcohol intoxication;
- Acute or chronic diseases that can lead to tissue hypoxia (for example, respiratory or heart failure, recent myocardial infarction, shock);
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Relative (special caution required):
- Children aged 10-12 years;
- Patients over the age of 60 who perform heavy physical work.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Pregnancy is a contraindication for taking Siofor. The drug is contraindicated during pregnancy. When planning a pregnancy, drug treatment is also not recommended.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use of the tablet, Siophor 500 is taken orally during or after a meal. The mode of administration, the dose of the drug, the duration of the course of therapy, the doctor prescribes individually, taking into account the level of glucose concentration in the blood plasma.
Recommended Dosing for Adults:
- Monotherapy: initial dose - 1 pc. (0.5 g) 1-2 times a day for 10-15 days. Then, given the level of glucose in the blood plasma, the dose is gradually increased to 3-4 pieces. in a day. A gradual increase in dose avoids the symptoms of intolerance from the gastrointestinal tract. The maximum daily dose - 6 pcs. (3 g) divided into 3 doses;
- Combined therapy with insulin: initial dose - 1 pc. 1-2 times a day. The dose should be increased gradually, with an interval of 7 days. The average daily dose after the increase - 3-4 pcs. The insulin dose is determined based on the blood glucose level. The daily dose of the drug should not exceed 6 pieces, it should be divided into 3 doses.
The transition from the use of another antidiabetic agent is made by canceling the previous one and immediately starting to receive Siofor 500 in the above doses.
For patients with advanced age, the dose of the drug should be prescribed with extreme caution, only taking into account the level of creatinine in the blood plasma. Treatment should take place under regular control of the state of kidney function.
The recommended dosage of Siofor 500 for children over 10 years old with monotherapy and combination with insulin: the initial dose is 1 pc. (0.5 g) once a day. To achieve the desired therapeutic response after 10-15 days of administration, you can proceed to a gradual increase in dose, depending on the level of glucose in the blood plasma. The maximum daily dose for children aged 10 to 18 years is 4 pcs. (2 g of metformin) in 2-3 doses. The insulin dose is determined on the basis of the glucose level in the blood plasma.
With the appointment of 4- 6 pcs. (2-3 g) per day, you can use tablets of the drug at a dose of 1 g (Siophore 1000).
How to take Siofor 500 for weight loss
The minimum dosage of metformin that is possible for Siofor (according to the assortment of Russian pharmacies) is 500 mg. The use of such a pill is permitted even in children, and those who are considering the option of losing weight with Siofor, it is advisable to do without this option. In diabetics, doctors suggest 2 options for using the medication:
- as monotherapy, 500 mg 2 times a day;
- combined with insulin (with dependence) - an increase from 500 mg to 2000 mg per day, i.e. from 1 to 4 receptions.
If you talk about how to take Siofor 500 for weight loss, then here it is desirable to stay on the proposed monotherapy version of the official instructions: for one month to drink Siofor 500 tablets of 1 pc. in a day. Do it with food or after its reception, because use of metformin is fraught with irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. The minimum dosage of Siofor affects the process of losing weight gently, but side reactions to it are rare. With good tolerance, the instruction allows an increase in the dose up to 2 tablets of Siofor.
Possible violations (often - ≥ 1/100, <1/10; infrequently - ≥ 1/1000, <1/100; rarely - ≥ 1/10 000, <1/1000; very rarely - <1/10 000, s taking into account individual cases):
- nervous system: often - taste disturbances;
- allergic reactions: very rarely - skin reactions, including hyperemia, itching, urticaria;
- digestive system: nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, taste of metal in the mouth, pain in the abdomen, diarrhea. These adverse reactions most often develop at the beginning of the course, then, as a rule, pass on their own. To reduce the likelihood of these disorders, it is recommended to divide the daily dose into 2-3 doses, take Siofor during or after a meal and gradually increase the dose;
- metabolism: very rarely - lactacidosis (with the development of this violation, the drug is canceled); with a long course - a decrease in the absorption of vitamin B12 and its plasma concentration in the blood (should be considered in the presence of megaloblastic anemia);
- liver and biliary tract: individual cases - reversible liver dysfunction, which are expressed as an increase in liver transaminase activity, hepatitis.
With a significant overdose of the drug, there is a risk of lactic acidosis, signs of which are respiratory disorders, nausea, severe weakness, drowsiness, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, hypothermia, reflex bradyarrhythmia, reduction of blood pressure. Also possible confusion and loss of consciousness, pain in the muscles.
To eliminate the symptoms of an overdose, it is recommended to take glucose or foods rich in carbohydrates. Be sure to cancel the drug and hemodialysis.
Standard laboratory tests for patients with diabetes should be performed regularly.
Before using the drug Siofor in children aged 10 to 18 years should confirm the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes.
Since metformin is excreted by the kidneys, the concentration of creatinine in the blood plasma should be determined before starting treatment, and then regularly. Particular caution should be exercised in cases where there is a risk of impaired renal function, for example, at the beginning of therapy with antihypertensive drugs, diuretics, or NSAIDs.
Treatment with Siofor should be temporarily replaced with other hypoglycemic drugs (eg, insulin) 48 hours before and 48 hours after an x-ray study with i / v administration of iodine-containing contrast agents.
Use of the drug Siofor should be discontinued 48 hours before a planned surgical operation under general anesthesia, with spinal or epidural anesthesia. Continue therapy should be after the resumption of oral nutrition, or not earlier than 48 hours after surgery, subject to confirmation of normal renal function.
Siofor does not replace diet and daily exercise - these types of therapy should be combined in accordance with the recommendations of the doctor. During treatment with the preparation Siophore, all patients should follow a dietary meal with an even carbohydrate intake throughout the day. Overweight patients should follow a low calorie diet.
In the course of one-year controlled clinical studies, the effect of metformin on growth and development, as well as puberty of children was not observed, data on these indicators with longer use are not available. In this regard, it is recommended that careful monitoring of the relevant parameters in children receiving metformin, especially in the prepubertal period (10-12 years).
Monotherapy with the drug Siophore does not lead to hypoglycemia, however, caution is recommended with simultaneous use of the drug with insulin or sulfonylurea derivatives.
Lactic acidosis is a serious pathological condition that is extremely rare and is associated with the accumulation of lactic acid in the blood, the cause of which may be cumulation of metformin. The described cases of lactic acidosis in patients treated with metformin were observed mainly in patients with diabetes mellitus with severe renal insufficiency. Prevention of lactic acidosis involves the determination of all associated risk factors, such as decompensated diabetes, ketosis, prolonged fasting, excessive alcohol consumption, liver failure, and any condition associated with hypoxia. If you suspect the development of lactic acidosis, immediate withdrawal of the drug and emergency hospitalization are recommended.
The use of the drug Siofor does not cause hypoglycemia, and therefore does not affect the ability to drive and service mechanisms.
With simultaneous use of the drug Siophore with other hypoglycemic drugs (sulfonylurea derivatives, insulin, repaglinide), hypoglycemic states may develop, therefore care should be taken when driving and other potentially dangerous activities that require concentration and psychomotor reactions.
Interaction with other drugs
During treatment with Siofor, the intake of beverages or preparations containing ethanol is not recommended due to the aggravation of the risk of developing lactic acidosis (especially against the background of an eating disorder, dieting or liver failure).
Combinations of metformin with other drugs that require special care due to possible interaction reactions:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and other antihypertensive drugs - may decrease blood glucose levels;
- Sulfonylurea derivatives, acarbose, salicylates, insulin - hypoglycemic effect is enhanced;
- Diuretics, beta-adrenomimetics, glucocorticoids (for systemic and topical use) - the level of glucose in the blood increases;
- Indirect anticoagulants - their effect is weakened;
- Cimetidine - slows down the excretion of metformin, exacerbates the risk of lactic acidosis;
- Cationic drugs (quinidine, procainamide, morphine, amiloride, vancomycin triamterene, ranitidine), secreted in the tubule - the maximum plasma concentration of metformin increases;
- Danazol - may develop hyperglycemic effect (may require a change in the dose of Siofor);
- Nifedipine - the maximum concentration and absorption of metformin in plasma increases, its elimination is prolonged;
- Phenothiazine derivatives, epinephrine, thyroid hormones, glucagon, nicotinic acid, oral contraceptives - the concentration of glucose in the blood increases;
- Furosemide - decreases its concentration and half-life.
We offer to read the reviews of people using the drug Siofor:
- Inna I did not see a serious difference between the Siafor1000 and the Ciafor 500, I drank both versions. Each 1 tablet, the course was two weeks. Although the low dosage, although high, the effect is one - a terrible training of willpower! When you try to eat cookies, vomiting begins; medication blocks carbohydrates. My man acts the same way, and I have sinned on my body.
- Helena. My dear women. After birth, my weight was 140 kg and my doctor prescribed me Siofor 1000 plus hormones. In four months minus 45 kg of side effects there was no metabolism normalized. But the minus is what if you stop to drink weight, you can quickly gain weight. Two years have passed, my weight is now 73 kg. I don’t take pills. I’m trying to control weight all successfully ... I am very glad that I learned about these pills.
- Victoria. Accept 3 weeks. He was prescribed by a doctor because of polycystic ovaries and high insulin levels. Awful side effects: nausea, headache (buzz), weakness, lethargy, abdominal pain. The first week, nothing in my mouth climbed. Then she began to slowly eat. But again yesterday I returned to the fact that nothing climbs (except fruit and a tomato with cucumbers).But there are pluses: sensitivity to sweets - everything seems so sweet that it is disgusting to eat (bananas so generally appear as made of sugar). There is no desire to eat something floury or cereal (it seems tasteless). Fat does not eat at all, as it vomits from it (but this is from the time when the bile was removed). And losing weight ... sometimes 200 g per day, and sometimes 3 kg ... And no physical exercise ... because there is no strength just ... I want to lie all the time: (((
Full replacement in the treatment of diabetes and sugar fluctuations on the item of the active substance and the general provisions of the instructions, doctors call only 2 drugs:
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Tablets must be kept out of reach of children at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees. The shelf life of the drug is 3 years from the date of manufacture indicated on the package.